Welcome to the classroom!
Sewing Classes Fall 2018
Learn to sew the professional way in a fun, relaxed, judgement-free atmosphere! The Sutura Style Method of Sewing has been featured on television and in print media as a unique way of learning to sew. We offer classes and meet-ups for novices and experts alike. To see the full line up, visit our MeetUp page. Details about our novice program can be found below.
Novice Sewing Classes for Men and Women
4 Sessions. 2 hours per session. Cost: $39
We will introduce the basics of threading the machine, understanding fabrics and creating our first project. Yay! Each week we will build on the lessons from the week before. You will have the chance to explore your creativity and learn new skills. This program is designed for those who do not know how to sew at all. While creating our first project, a simple toiletries bag, your teacher will help you to learn how to :
- Thread a sewing machine
- Wind a bobbin
- Cut a Project in Reference to the Grain Line
- Understand basic woven fabrics
- Sew and Finish a Seam
- Insert a Zipper
- Stitch a buttonhole using your machine
- Create a self lining
Sew Like a Pro Course 1
Come enjoy the pleasure of exploring your creativity in our new, dedicated space! Open to adults, this course will guide you in creating a simple, comfortable wardrobe over 6 sessions. We meet every week except holidays for six consecutive sessions. Please check your calendar to ensure that you are available each week as there are no refunds once class starts.
1) We must have a minimum of 4 attendees for the program to hold. Payment is not taken until the day of so you will not lose any money.
2) You must complete all four sessions of the Beginner Sewing Class or have equivalent skills (be comfortable sewing seams, buttons, buttonholes, zippers, linings etc) before taking this course. Please check out the Novice/Beginner Class first.
Sutura Style Sew Like a Pro teaches you how to make clothing in an easy yet professional way. Learn Fashion Industry secrets and sewing methods! Featured on television and in print, the Sutura Style Courses and videos have been used by thousands of people who want to express their unique style! We will be working on creating a mini collection of ‘fast fashion’ clothing. Your clothing collection is to be a reflection of your personal taste and everyone is welcome in our judgement-free, ‘no-snark’, program.
Enjoy the satisfaction of creating a basic wardrobe that fits well and reflects your personal taste in fabrics, colors and style. In addition, learn how to draft a simple patterns for a perfect fit! Discover how to use your basic pattern for a wealth of styles simply by making easy changes. We will create 3-6 pieces in 6 sessions. Participant results will vary according to skill level.
This course is 6 sessions and 3 hours per session for a total of 18 Course Hours of Instruction. Students must complete the free Novice Sewing Program prior to taking this course or have equivalent sewing knowledge. Please check out our Novice Sewing Class description for details 🙂
FEES: $69 payable by cash or card at the first class.
You will need to purchase: Your choice of fashion fabric for the pattern, interfacing, notions, thread and other supplies.
Included: Your pattern is included together with some sample fabric and notions for class practice.
Custom Bra Making Workshop for Beginners (1 day)
Cost: $79 plus Kit Fee
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and there is no better time to learn how to properly create a custom bra. We will donate 10% of the class fees for the Month of October to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Are you tired of bras that gouge with wires, sag, leave back bulges or lack the support you want?
Using “Bare Essentials – Bras” by Jennifer Lynne Matthews-Fairbanks as our textbook we will create a custom fit bra. In this one day, intensive workshop, intermediate sewists can learn to sew a custom fit bra – a skill that can set you free for life from uncomfortable, poorly fit bras. Learn Natalie’s methods for sewing supportive yet comfortable bras. We will make a 2 piece, soft-cup, full coverage bra with a 3 piece option for larger cup sizes.
- Your sewing kit and basic sewing supplies
- 1 spool of high quality, 100% polyester, nude colored thread
- your well working zigzag sewing machine.
- A sack lunch, water bottles are provided
Please register online at our Meetup Page. The kit fee will be posted there.
About our Classes
Thank you so much for your interest in Sutura Style Classes, Courses, Lessons, Demos, Workshops and Community Programs. Here are some important details to ensure that everyone has a good time!
- Sign up for all our programs online at MeetUp.com
- We accept debit/credit cards and cash.
- There are no refunds once the program begins.
- Since skill levels vary we cannot guarantee that everyone will complete projects by the end of the program. Please understand that some homework may be necessary.
- Code of Conduct: We all learn at a different pace, have different body types and we each have our own ideas of what ‘beautiful’ is. We want everyone to have a great time learning to sew which is why we have a strict “no snark”, “judgement free” policy 🙂
- All participants are asked to arrive punctually.
- If you cannot make it to your program, please use MeetUp.com to let us know by clicking “Not Going”. This will create a space for someone else to attend.
What’s the Difference?
Sutura Style Lessons:
One on one programs with your instructor on any sewing, quilting, machine embroidery subject you wish to learn. These can include home sewing machine operational lessons for Elna, Necchi, Juki or Janome brands.
Sutura Style Classes:
Groups of four to sixteen participants proceed through fun, engaging programs that take your skills to the next level using simple projects. Classes are usually between one and two hours in length and two to four sessions in duration.
Sutura Style Sew Like a Pro Courses
Groups of four to twelve participants spend eighteen or more classroom hours learning fashion industry sewing methods that have been modified to your home sewing environment. Students are guided, step-by-step, through the process of completing a mini collection of clothing, machine embroidery or a major quilt project. All students must have completed the Novice/Beginner Sewing Program or possess equivalent skill before starting class
We define a workshop as a one or two day event where participants actively create one or more projects.
Community Programs – Third Thursdays
Join us every Third Thursday of the month for a fun and informative get together! We cover sewing, quilting and machine embroidery topics and have demos at every meeting. There is a small fee of $5 per meeting. This is a non-profit fee that goes towards a donation to the church where we hold the meetings and towards the cost of any hand-outs.
Offered free of charge on an ad-hoc basis. We do this all the time y’all!